Tuesday, August 28, 2007

As John says, "Sh*t Happens"..



We are in Bellingham. We got all the way to 3-4 miles south of Cherry Point at the refinery dock *sigh*. Imagine's engine compartment took on water, the bilge got plugged and burn't out..what a mess. We had to be towed to Seaview.


They are taking Imagine out of the water tomorrow. Seems the exhaust hose connection in the transom cracked due to galvanic corrosion at the connection putting exhaust water into the bilge. They have to re-construct the area, re-paint and all. Supposed to take a week. Tad and I managed to find a furnished 'mom in-law' apartment nearby for the week. We are hoping that we can continue our trip. However we called Semiahmoo to let them know we still may need our slip to store the boat this winter. *whew* They hadn't given it away yet! the wait list here in Bellingham for a slip is 15 years!
We continue to try to stay optimistic while planning for any outcome. This situation could not have happened at a better time. The weather was calm and we were near land. It was an opportunity to identify some areas that needed attention before we continue our journey and we are so grateful to have had our sailing friend John with us. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes can see what bright dreams hide ((HUGS)) to you John! Thanks for being a real friend.

3 comments:

Delores Carter said...

Sometimes a fresh set of eyes can see what bright dreams hide

What a great comment to make!!! So glad you are safe!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're safe. Bet things were a little exciting for a bit. Reminds me of shrimping days. We kept two bilge pumps on line at all times due to the amount of water on the decks. More than once, I've been down in the bilge re-wiring one of those suckers to stay afloat. Crewed on one we lost (sank) and skippered two that we saved. Again, glad you are safe and the Imagine is okay. You've got a war story to tell for later. This delay may be a good thing due to a little weather system cropping up off Acapulco. I've still got a couple of weeks off if you two need help. I need to be in a meeting on the 17th, but am pretty much open 'til then. Just e-mail me at the mcdrob address or call the clinic. I think Chris would pass along the msg. :)

Toast said...

Better the Puget Sound then off Point Reyes, neh? And do not despair. The weather window is still open to get your south for the winter.