Sunday, February 18, 2007


American essayist Brenda Peterson once wrote, ‘I have apprenticed myself to Puget Sound,” she writes, “because I believe it will teach me more about living than what I have learned so far. Maybe I hope its watery wisdom will seep into me every night as I lie, listening to the whoosh of waves against my seawall.”

I just love that passage. I read it yesterday in the Laundromat, an excerpt from a book titled “At Home Afloat” by Nancy Pagh. It seems to confirm our desire to enrich our lives through embracing the lifestyle of living on the water. Maybe some wisdom will come vicariously through osmosis. However, I am quite sure that most of it will come by trial and error ..teehee… I am already learning.

1) Do not try to paint your nails on a windy day or when your partner may need assistance in the engine room.
2) When the sun peeks out, grab the opportunity
3) Refrigerator generators are not supposed to “whine” all the time. They can be fixed temporarily with a hammer and then later replaced with blocks of ice.
4) Use hair products that are re-activated by water application, so when condensation drips continually on your head, it can be a positive event.
5) When your partner asks if you would like to do something, he isn’t really asking.. just say yes and embrace the learning opportunity! It’s your boat too.

The wind has been visiting us here at Semiahmoo during the evening, the days have been favorable and gracious to our sense of adventure. We have been walking the trails almost every day. Yesterday we even broke the bikes out from confinement and went riding in the hills nearby. We have seen a numerous amount of interesting waterfowl. I like that their eyes are weird, bright colors. There are also eagles that seem to enjoy sitting atop remnants of a lightening damaged tree nearby. Yesterday, while biking, we came across some miniature deer grazing near a golf course. It is beautiful here and is already feeling like home.

No comments: