Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Joy of Paper - The Graceful Envelope

Yesterday I spent the day in Arlington with my good friend Misti. We both share a passion for scrapbooking yet have been procrastinating because ... well life happens and one forgets to appreciate those times when we must express ourselves through artistic mediums. I thought I would work on creating some stamped cards, a simple yet pleasurable way to get my head back into the scrappin fever. So, on my way to Arlington I stopped at a stamping supply store and geared up for the day!

I got to Misti's and delved into a scrapbook I had in my storage bin (in my truck) instead.. no cards today! Misti and I had so much fun. I had forgotten the joy of creating with paper. Such a simple medium, yet full of possibilities. By the time I returned to the boat, my scrappin fever was back in full mode.

However, Paper and water don't always mix well. I would cry buckets if any of my scrapbooks were doused with seawater. This is why they are not on the boat. Yet I yearn for a outlet. I began trying to think of ways I could have the best of both worlds as I pondered through a magazine I picked up at the supply store and I remembered! *LIGHT BULB* .. The Graceful Envelope.

This is a contest held every year to promote the art of calligraphy. I am not a calligrapher but the entries are so inspiring just to look at! I love to make and send cards, so embellishing the envelope as well would be an additional opportunity for fun art, there are also calligraphy pens that one can purchase that are super easy to use!

http://www.calligraphersguild.org/envelope.html

"The Graceful Envelope Contest celebrates the role of letters in binding people together and serves as a reminder that the people who deliver the mail are career government employees who take pride in their work and care about the communities they serve."

"The contest was created in 1995 by the Smithsonian Institution's National Postal Museum, which administered it until delegating responsibility to the Washington Calligraphers Guild in 2001. Beginning in 2003, the National Association of Letter Carriers agreed to partner with the Washington Calligraphers Guild to sponsor the contest and exhibit the winners."

If you are inspired to enter, you need to hurry! This years entry deadline is April 30th!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had so much fun with you that day. Layn keeps asking when his best friend ever Tina is coming back to visit him . You left a real impression with him I guess. Well he speaks for us all when I say .. hurry back soon !!!! We have so much scrapping and talking to catch up on ya know