Thursday, October 11, 2007

Point Conception to Santa Barbara

LOOK! A Kiss!! Isn't that just SOOO Sweet?


Our second overnight trip! We left Morro Bay in the am stopping briefly to gas up. The gas station had no floats. We had to fender up to the pilings and the attendant handed the hose down to you. Very different from WA! But, we did it and it wasn’t a big deal. Just glad it was High Tide. We had met 2 more Baja Ha-Ha bound boats, Krissy and La Sirena. We also met a family with 3 little boys from Canada sailing to Mexico on their own.

La Sirena followed us half way and then passed us up right at Point Arguello. We haven’t seen them since!

In the bay right before Point Arguello, we started seeing whales!! Not just one whale but dozens. They were everywhere! We even had 2 right off the bow of the boat! Happy, Happy girl!!! The birds and the seals were jumping and playing around the whales. It was so much fun. I pulled out my new camera and started snapping! I got one unbelievable shot .. but I can’t share it with you because I have to enter it in a challenge, LOL, my best photo ever! Here are some others though. It was truly the highlight of this voyage so far.


We prepared the boat for rough weather as we had heard the fog and the seas were nicknamed the ‘Cape Horn’ of California. We passed Point Conception at around 0200, the water was like a duck pond. Smooth and calm. In fact, this leg of our voyage was probably one of the easiest to navigate. If only there would have been a nice warm wind to sail. This motoring stuff gets old! LOL. Made it safely to Santa Barbara where we will enjoy til Friday morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Tina finally got her whales . So happy for you . Waiting for my emails . Miss you tons

Anonymous said...

Glad you are finally getting to enjoy your journey. Jessica and I were talking the other morning and I remembered something. I used to be in the water everyday and she grew up by the water. Try swimming or just floating daily when not sailing. It may allow your body to develop the rythme of the sea and stop the seasickness. Sounds like you are going to know most of the travelers at the Baja thingy before you get there. Instead of meeting everyone, you get to renew friendships. What fun.