
October 18th and we have been home a whole week already!
We sure have been busy - but not like we had hoped. We were anticipating trying to make some wine this year. The photo above is the best bunch I could find - all the abundant grapes we had are gone. Did they fall off? Did birds eat them? Too much rain? We don't know. The few that remain have a weird taste and aren't very sweet. Maybe next year..
I salvaged about a gallon of blackberries, they too are not very sweet and are at season end.
We did however, have an abundant supply of green tomatoes. A few were even red. We have been dicing them up and doing a raw pack canning method to try to preserve some as it is already lightly frosting overnight.

These were some of the ones that had a bit more color. Most of the others were green, green, green! I also made some sweet relish and some salsa.
Tad opened one of the jars of green tomatoes and made sauce with homemade whole wheat noodles. It turned out pretty good! So we are confident we will be able to salvage some of his pre-season gardening efforts.

Tractor is ready to go to work putting the garden to rest for the winter..

After Tad mowed it down and removed the boards & liners, we used straw leftover from our wedding bale seating to cover it up and use for mulching in the spring.

We have some really amazing reds in our yard! It's been such a cold summer, I was surprised to see such vibrant colors.

The birds love this bush. This is the first year it has had berries - probably because usually I cut it way back .. it's very thorny and I hate that! However, now that I see berries I may have to reconsider!

This sweet flowering bush is in our backyard. The past few years it's been a blush of pink but look how rose colored it is this year!


We must have had a lot of rain while we were in Italy! The barrels were full of water & mosquito larva. I emptied them out - yuk.

Hiking around the perimeter of the property and crunching through the leaves has been refreshing. It's so good to be home.

No comments:
Post a Comment