Friday, March 16, 2007

Visit to the Chaco Canyon Cafe

Yesterday we left in the am and motored Imagine to Bellingham for some needed paint repair due to some winter storm damgae. It was cold and the water was calm. We did put the sails up for fun though, and good practice of course! Afterward, we drove back to Blaine and spent the evening in a local hotel as I had a hair appointment this morning. After the appointment we headed towards Seatac!

Tad and I made it to Seattle today in time to find our way down to the University district in Seattle and have lunch at the Chaco Canyon Cafe! It is a restaurant that has a partial menu of foods made entirely from raw ingredients. I had the Spicy Thai Grinder; A patty of peanuts, carrots, cilantro, garlic and hot peppers and serve it on a bed of spinach. Surrounded by chopped cabbage and drizzled in a tangy miso glaze.

and Tad had a spinach lasagna; A base of ground almonds, sunflower seeds, carrots, celery and basil is layered with spinach, jicama, and a sundried tomato sauce. Served on a bed of chopped spinach tossed with basil oil.
We topped our raw lunch off with raw carrot cake, composed of soaked and dehydrated almonds, fresh carrot, dates, raisins, and spices. Topped with a thick frosting of cashews, lemon and vanilla.

It was our first experience with prepared raw food creations and a lot of fun. The food was wonderfully different. The restaurant is supposed to be moving to a new location on Sunday, which is probably good because the current location seemed a little drab and dark. I forgot my camera. However, there were photo's on the cafe's web site, so I borrowed them. I didn't think they would mind the free advertisement :o) http://www.chacocanyoncafe.com/

We are now preparing for our early plane departure for Puerto Vallarta! 2 whole weeks of wonderful, warm, fun in the sun! Next blog, from Mexico!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alrighty Tina I must say you are one for an adventure. I dont think I could do the whole "raw" food thing. Sorry it looks horrible to me but then again I am a meat and potatoes kind of gal . YUMMY I love my food. Cant wait to hear about your next experience with "raw" . Miss you tons . Enjoy the SUN !!!!