Thursday, September 30, 2010

Volterra!



After a lot of driving and some wonderful views, we finally reached Volterra.

This small Tuscan city with an ancient Etruscan history has become a cult destination among traveling teenagers and people in their 20s (not to mention some vampire-loving mothers), thanks to the phenomenon Twilight.

I don't care so much about that .. I'm hungry! We find a toilet (pay per use) and then a stop for pizza & beer. When you order a combo pizza in Italy, you get it. Yep, there is a portion with spinach, one with potato, one with mushrooms and the last 1/4th has carrots!



We stop at the view loop for a few photos..

*~* Tom & Linelle *~*




~*~ Tad & Tina ~*~



we check into a hotel and then out for exploration.



This Ancient Roman Stage or Theatre known as Teatro Romano, was built in the 1st century B.C. and was originally part of a much larger complex. The scaenae frons is the two tiered background stage where the actors would enter. The columns are Carrara marble and even today still look elegant.



We also found old churches of course.

I decided I needed to have the experience of lighting a candle. I was concentrating very hard!




I did it!



Tad wanted to light one too but I had used all his coins.



We walked around and enjoyed the small village ambiance. The little shops and the old buildings.







We went to the park and saw this castle looking building. The Castle was built in 1343, today it is known as 'Rocca Vecchia' (Old Fortress), on the oriental vertex of the acropolis, projected outside the line of the Etruscan walls just beside the 'Porta a Selci'.

We couldn't get any closer because apparently it is now a prison of some sort.




This was a neat tunnel walkway.



We met back up with Tom & Linelle and toasted with some wine as the sun set off their balcony.





We walked out to dinner where Linelle & I shamelessly flirted with the young, handsome Russian waiter (красивый мальчик). I didn't take his photo, we were too busy giggling like school girls and slurping up our pasta.

More wine for the silly women -
you can't take us anywhere!

No comments: