Friday, September 14, 2007

Heading Out - Day 1

September 14, 2007 – Day 1

American essayist Brenda Peterson once wrote, “I have apprenticed myself to Puget Sound,” she writes, “because I believe it will teach me more about living than what I have learned so far. Maybe I hope its watery wisdom will seep into me every night as I lie, listening to the whoosh of waves against my seawall.”

I just love that passage. I read it in a book titled At Home Afloat by Nancy Pagh. Maybe some wisdom will come vicariously through osmosis as Ms. Peterson suggests. However, I am quite sure that most of it will come by trial and error = Experience.

We have officially begun our very first ocean voyage by arriving safely at Port Angeles Washington and waiting for our crew to arrive. Our guess is we will be leaving this afternoon or tomorrow am for the first leg to Astoria. It is exciting, scary and mind boggling at any given time. We are doing it, we are actually doing it! Isn’t this what we planned? Why should we be surprised that we are meeting our own expectations? It is time to …

"... throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All righty then!!! Go for it! Bon Voyage and all that. Good winds and safe travels. Hope to catch up with you two somewhere along the way.

John and Rosie said...

Very Cool!! We are awaiting your blog updates as you work your way south.

Anonymous said...

It's fun to watch the progress. Good luck and stay safe. but please keep posting your blog!! love seeing what it going on in the transition from land lubber to sea faring dynamic duo!

Delores Carter said...

We are praying for safe passage for you and Imagine. May God go with you and keep you safe! We will be checking your progress each day!